Thursday 9 July 2015

Dressing Up Simplicity

Midrise Jean in Paulo Wash Blue - Asos Curve | Shell Pink Laser Cut Out Hem T-Shirt  - New Look
Wide Fit Stone Chunky Strap Metal Block Heel - New Look

For this week's post, I decided to take a little break from the patterns (I know - stressful right?) and challenge myself to keep it simple. Nothing emanates simplicity in an outfit better than a pair of great fitting denim jeans and a t-shirt. The first way to dress up a simple outfit is to look for basic pieces that have subtle details, such as the laser cut out he on this New Look t-shirt. This turns a relatively simple piece into a focal piece in the outfit. 


Another great way to add uniqueness to a simple outfit is to pick the right shoe! I teamed this ensemble with a chunky strap sandal. The neutral shade of the sandal helps to tie together the entire outfit while the gold metal block heel brings in a new point of detail that can be continued on through out the outfit.

The final (and in my opinion, the best way) to dress up a simple outfit is to accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! A bright patterned clutch is always a good investment, especially in a causal outfit, as it adds a great focal point. I used this beautiful snakeskin clutch which I purchased from Aldo Accessories a few seasons ago. A similar clutch can be found here and here (in a wonderful teal colour). I also added a long line, tassel necklace which I picked up from Hudson's Bay. It was quite a hefty investment financially so I found a more wallet friendly version of the necklace here.     

I am a firm believer in the fact that plus size women can dress simply. Based on discussions I've had with my curvier ladies, a major stress that comes with being plus size is being afraid to not overdress. There are a wide array of plus sized jean brands and basic pieces that you can have in your closet for days where a body con dress isn't the right choice. Allow yourself to be comfortable while maintaining your unique sense of style!